Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Plainte à Monsieur l'Ambassadeur

Today is the first day that something Barack Obama did has made me sad. I attended the monthly meeting of the American International Women’s Association (AIWA) of Rabat to hear the new US Ambassador to Morocco give a talk. Before I even made it to the meeting, I was very disturbed by scuttlebutt about Ambassador Kaplan’s credentials. I would universally assume that high ranking appointed diplomats have no knowledge of Arabic. But here in Morocco, I am appalled and deeply disappointed that the new Ambassador can’t even speak French. My immediate reaction is what the f***? Let’s ignore the foppish hair cut and the artless admission of little prior knowledge of Morocco. What the hell President Obama?!? They’re clearly a likeable couple but how does being a lawyer and activist prepare one to be an Ambassador? I suppose I can assume that since it’s the junior diplomats that do the real work, credentials are less important in appointees, but still. I am ashamed on behalf of the US. Why can’t a great nation appoint at LEAST a French speaker? Ugh.

Perhaps I might temper my disgust by reminding myself of one sentiment expressed in the MN Daily: though Mr. Kaplan may “not yet understand all the intricacies of the U.S. –Moroccan relationship…[he and his wife] present a double dose of professionalism, stamina, and exceptional potential…(in addition to their deep pockets and solid connections)…” You can listen to Ambassador Kaplan here and here.


Ugh. I might aspire to those same qualities (or even embody them-scribbly requires stamina for sure) but I’m far too fond of mentioning my first experience with dysentery to anyone who will listen. I have done my best to exhaust all possible nepotism available to me…but without the deep pockets and connections, I actually have to learn Arabic to get anywhere important in Arabia.


Whoever authored this graffito in Rabat’s Les Orangers neighborhood will be displeased with this article about Ambassador Kaplan. (Anticlimax--I can't get any photos to upload at the moment).



Otherwise, my new alarm clock makes me happy beyond measure and terrifies me with its shrieking Arabic devotion--instead of buzzing it reminds of prayer time!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hello! can I comment here? will you be able to see it? I am not a luddite (well, actually I kind of am) but I have no idea how these blog things work.

in any case, You are completely right about the lack of connections and the chodes who become our ambassadors--our representatives to other countries. you have to be a wasp--you know, an elite who has roots in the mayflower and or slave-owning or a descendant of rockafella (as jz would say it) or other tycoons. I'm not kidding. It's totally true. all of the leaders whether political or business of the USA are related by blood essentially and there is Little chance we can break the mold. obama did it but you're not black and anyway the country is no longer interested in electing anymore blacks because 'we've done it now' so the point has already been proven that 'america is not racist'. anyway, truth be told, obama is related to dick cheney on his (white) mother's side!

good luck though breaking into the state dept mel mel (didn't you have a job offer--I thought I remember you saying?) anyway, when I become prez, I'll post you in Arabia, France, Germany, wherever you want.

Melodee said...

Thanks Alex. I am really glad I have options :)