Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hotel President has bed bugs and other travails of travel in Egypt

I'll begin with my personal state and then backtrack to recent travels (and travails).
While I personally do not possess documentary evidence, my fellow travelers have been repulsed enough by the carnage wrought by the bedbugs to take pictures. I will try to obtain some. I am covered from finger tips to shoulders and from toes to hip in bed bug bites. It's miserable, ugly and unforgivably itchy. In the 110 degree heat of Beni Suef each little painful, poison infested mound throbbed with additional heat, bringing me to my first bout of tears this summer.

To make myself feel better I decided to buy things after we returned to civilization (in this case, Cairo). Here is a display of my treats:

Last Saturday 20 June we traveled to Memphis and Saqaara. The pyramids of Saqaara are visible from the Maadi neighborhood of Cairo, as seen here:
Sunday and Monday I had Arabic class at AUC's downtown campus. Tuesday was perhaps the best Arabic class I've ever had--we went to the mall. The advanced class (there are 15 of us) get to spend 1 day per week learning in context, so after we dumped off the beginning classes downtown, the space bus took us to a governorate just south of Giza called 6 October. We spent the morning at Nadim, a furniture making and restoration facility. We lunched and concluded our trip at Dandy Megamall. At Carrefour we had a scavenger hunt that was probably the most fun Arabic learning activity ever. Did you know there are more than 15 brands of sliced cheddar cheese for sale?

Wednesday and Thursday we spent in the desert 10 km south of Beni Suef at the Mediterranean Centre for Sustainable Development being hot and unproductive. Tomorrow is Friday, our free day. I intend to attend a movie or two, do some homework and brace myself for the heat I will encounter in Giza on Saturday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mr. Men in Arabic!!! How F-ing cool is that?!?

manda said...

I thought heat kills bed bugs!!! Does anti-itch cream help at all? Hope you feel better soon.
On the bright side, you are having an excellent opporunity that very few could have. Have nice summer!